The Ghana Police Service says it has arrested a 33-year-old woman in connection with the alleged theft of a four-day-old baby boy from a postnatal ward at Mamprobi Hospital, following what authorities described as swift investigations and public cooperation.
At a press briefing on Tuesday, the Accra Regional Police Command said suspect Latifa Salifu was apprehended at about 3:40 a.m. on 17 February at the premises of Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, where she was found with a baby believed to be the missing child. Officers from the Dansoman Divisional Police Command carried out the arrest.
Police said the case was reported earlier that morning, at about 10:00 a.m., by a complainant who alleged that an unidentified woman posing as a nurse had taken the newborn from the ward under the pretence of administering medication and failed to return. The baby’s mother told investigators she had delivered the child on 14 February and became alarmed when the woman disappeared with him.
According to officers, the suspect claimed she had recently given birth at the hospital and had been discharged because of a shortage of beds. However, checks at the facility found no records to support her account. She remains in custody while arrangements are made for medical assessment and continued care of the infant.
Police confirmed that the baby has since been identified and reunited with his mother after she recognised a birthmark on his leg. After the reunion, authorities returned the child to hospital supervision for further medical checks and safeguarding.
Investigators also addressed circulating video footage said to show a woman leaving the hospital with a baby but not wearing a nurse’s uniform, despite earlier witness descriptions. Officers said they were reviewing all available materials and stressed that details released so far are preliminary, with further verified information to be shared as inquiries progress.
The suspect is expected to be put before court by the close of Wednesday, police said. When asked whether others, including medical staff, might have assisted, officers said no additional suspects were currently in custody but that investigations remained ongoing.
Government officials, including Agnes Naa Momo Lartey and Alfred Okoe Vanderpuije, visited both the divisional command and the hospital after the incident, assuring the public that enhanced security measures would be implemented.
Police urged hospitals and families to strengthen vigilance, recommending strict identification checks for staff and visitors, monitored CCTV coverage, visitor logs, restricted ward access and immediate reporting of suspicious behaviour.
Authorities commended members of the public and a whistleblower whose information contributed to the arrest, pledging continued updates as the case develops.
